- "I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free so as to give up any hypothesis, however much beloved [and I cannot resist forming one on every subject], as soon as the facts are shown to be opposed to it."
Charles Darwin (Freedom:Quotes and Passages from the World's Greatest Freethinkers
- "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams (Pulled from Positive Atheism's List of Quotations)
- "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
Another one from Douglas Adams (from The Quotations Page)
- "When he looks into his hand, he can see thousands of generations before him and thousands of generations after him. He can see that he exists not only in the evolutionary tree branching along the axis of time, but also in the network of interdependent relations. He told me that he never feels lonely."
Thich Nhat Hanh (from Peace is Every Step)
- "If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?"
Carl Sagan (from The Quotations Page)
I have tagged Luminous Phenomena and Contemplative Activist.