Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Could the eye have evolved?

I'm pretty familiar with this claim by creationists that Darwin admitted that the eye could not have evolved. I used to believe them, but I grew up and wizened up and read The Origin of Species for myself. Darwin was only preempting this objection to his theory, but of course the creationists don't mention that he addresses the issue. I'm still shocked at the shamelessness and total dishonesty of creationists who tell impressionable kids (like I was) stuff like this.

It is because of things like this that I'm planning to go to the Rally for Reason and protest that monstrosity of a "Creation Museum."

If you'd like to know more about it, click the banner I have added at the top of my blog, or go to http://www.rallyforreason.com/

2 comments:

anonymous educator said...

It hardly seems fair to demand that a 19th century scientist, even a brilliant one, have all the answers.

Mikayla Starstuff said...

This is not a straw man you are setting up, is it? No one, not one person, has claimed that Darwin had all the answers. He didn't even know about DNA, for goodness sake!

Darwin's idea was just a start--the Theory of Evolution has progressed far beyond Darwin now. But his main ideas have been supporting by the evidence even to the present day.

But these creationists I'm talking about deliberately deceive young kids about what Darwin and later evolutionary scientists have to say. I have a serious problem with that.