Sunday, February 24, 2008

Birds Do It. Bees Do It. Dragons Don’t Need To.

This is a very interesting article about odd reproductive methods found in nature. I knew that some species could reproduce without the assistance of a male when the males are not accessible. I've even heard of one type of fish (though I don't remember the species right off the bat) where their is no male at all--though the females mimic heterosexual sex in order to conceive. I think what makes this article most interesting is the way addresses the issue of cloning in human circles (since for an animal to reproduce asexually is for it to produce a clone of itself) and challenges the argument that cloning should not be done because it goes against the natural order. Anyway, I think it is an interesting read so I am passing it on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/opinion/24shubin.html?ex=1361509200&en=c439992dc81f4cae&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

No comments: