Monday, March 19, 2007

Might be a quarter life crisis, who knows?

First heard of this concept in a John Mayer song on a CD I used to listen to constantly while I was in college just because I related to so much of what he was singing about.


Never thought I'd encounter the phrase anywhere else, but check this out. Bit scary actually, given some of the thoughts I've had in the last few months.

Quarter-life crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Characteristics of this crisis are:

  • feeling "not good enough" because one can't find a job that is at his/her academic/intellectual level

  • frustration with relationships, the working world, and finding a suitable job or career

  • confusion of identity

  • insecurity regarding the near future

  • insecurity regarding present accomplishments

  • re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships

  • disappointment with one's job

  • nostalgia for college life

  • tendency to hold stronger opinions

  • boredom with social interactions

  • financially-rooted stress

  • loneliness
  • desire to have children

  • a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you




I guess at least I know I'm normal, if that's any consolation. I can relate to almost every one of those points. I this on Grey's Journal, a website linked to the article:


While I was happy at the job and in the flat, a nameless unease grew within me. It took a long time to realize that I had passed a fundamental divide in my life without noticing: from always working toward the end of something -- be it high school, college, summer jobs or teacher training -- to having no end in sight, save that of retirement and death.


Anyone have ideas for how to deal with this?

1 comment:

Reason's Whore said...

Go to Burning Man? Of course, for me that ruined my "career." I just could not get interested in market research at all after that, so it's a risk you have to take if you go.

Make some new life goals?

Having kids - well, these kids don't solve anything. They do keep you occupied, but if all you want is entertainment there are less stressful ways to get it.

The world is your oyster.